CLDI IT WG Conference Call
February 14, 2018
3pm EDT / noon PDT
- Introductions & Welcome (temporarily at least) to Dan Scott!
- Plans for continuing to integrate with other working groups
- Status of technology sandbox at WestGrid
- Ideas for data sets we want to play with, research projects we want to undertake
- Bilal - best practices for integrating distinct data sets
- Request from Digital Projects for URI minting - how would this work? Anyone want to take this on?
- Other ideas?
Present: Jenn, Bilal, Peter, Paul, Russell (Ottawa - Canadiana), Gagandeep (McGill), Mutugi (McGill), Dan Scott
- Dan Scott is on the call - joining for a couple months - would like to help bring momentum - worked on schema.org bib extensions - did proof-of-concept client-side sparql fetch of Wikidata info on bands/musicians, display card
2. Integration with other groups
- See Calendar: https://connect.library.utoronto.ca/display/U5LD/calendars
- continue the liaison process with other groups: Mutugi: Education; me: Digital Projects; Bilal: Metadata - other groups are not very active
3. Sandbox - not ready yet - will document the process - N.B. on basic Canada Computes infrastructure there will be a 100,000 statement limit
- thesis dataset - want to show ability to add value via linking
- Jenn: metadata unit has idea for a project (student newspaper full text, named entity extraction), has asked for help
- Dan: small project, if can get student help: grey literature collection on mining reclamation - will be doing metadata from scratch - c.140 reports
- Bilal: serendipitous browse environment built around Banting and Best, migrated from MySQL db
- coop student did metadata extraction proof-of-concept with focus on geo (working in OpenRefine)
- head tax db - c.100k entries of Chinese immigrants - lots of data re place of birth etc. - would like to develop ontology for immigration - also interested in platform for developing and maintaining an ontology - would be cool to link the head tax data to the Real Face of White Australia transcription project - Bilal mentioned VitroLib for supporting ontologies - Dan suggested WikiBase instance
- classic conversion of MARC dataset to linked data - pick up on Ian Bigelow's BIBFRAME work
- problem of displaying this kind of data on the web (will be a component of Bilal's project)
- URI minting - requested by Digital Projects group - need to work out what their needs are: resolvable? content negotiation? etc.